Friday 19 February 2010

week 3 1st February-7th February




















Personal and Cultural Experience





At home I work as a boarding mistress in Methodist College. Half the children who board are always from Hong Kong. While many of them are still in Northern Ireland it has been exciting to be in touch with a few who have already graduated. This week it was really exciting to see a Agnes who I had known from boarding two years ago. She is now studying history and archaeology at a university only twenty minutes away from HKIed. We went to the Hong Kong museum of History together. I was surprised when we had been in there for five hours and I still felt like I could go back. The most interesting section for me was about the Japanese occupation in Hong Kong. Agnes was able to add her own slant telling me that her grandmother still can't talk about it to this day and is surprised if she buys a Japanese product.
















Professional Experience


The highlight of my studies this week was the field trip to Tai Po kau. It was personally interesting because it gave me insight into how others lived. The Tai Po Kau area has sprung up over the years. The houses are made of concrete and anything else the residents can find. The Government realises there is a problem but doesn't know what to do with the extra people if they were to move them. Our teacher gave us the task of finding out more about the area but because of the illegal status of many of the residents this is hard. We went to the field site near Tai Po kau at 9 in the morning so everyone was away at work. However there was one man who I had the chance to interview with the help of one of my classmates as translator. My group had decided to look at the quality of the water and to see how human activity had an affect on water quality. I asked questions about how long he had lived there and about the water draining away from his house. He had lived there for forty years since he was born when his parents had come from the Mainland and chosen to live there next to the sea. He also told us that none of the water or waste leaving his house was treated. Observation and smell also clarified this.

Out in the field we tested the waters PH, turbidity, salinity and level of nitrogen. Carrying out work like this showed the importance of understanding how to use the equipment properly before trying to take results. My group was okay but some of our results are incomplete and we will need to go back during our free time and now that we know so much more about what is in the water we're not so keen. Back in the classroom we got together as a group with a facilitator. The facilitator is an older student who took the class the year before. He helped us to interpret our results and think about how we could present them in a way that will be meaningful to others. This hands on experience of fieldwork is helping me to reflect on the sort of science classroom and scientific enquiry I would like to create for children in the future. Its been more useful and fun to carry out some of the experiments wrong then to have a step-by-step guide that has been my experience in the past and is often given to primary school children.






No comments:

Post a Comment